Our good friend Celina (AKA the Visual Veggie) provides us with a delicious and nutritious recipe to keep you warm and boost your immune during the sick season.
With Flu season in full swing, I’ve been making sure that I’m getting all the right vitamins and nutrients my body needs to stay healthy! Two of my non-negotiables in my immune-boosting arsenal are Just Thrive® probiotics and turmeric.
Unlike most traditional probiotics, Just Thrive® contains spore-based strains, one of which, Bacillus Indicus HU36®, produces antioxidants in the intestines where they can be readily absorbed. Antioxidants are extremely important for immune health because of the fact that our modern-day world is overcome with toxic compounds – from environmental sources like city pollution, to indoor sources like home cleaning products…even makeup. With the buildup of pollution exposure, comes oxidative stress which contributes to the formation or worsening of many health conditions. Luckily, with tools like the right probiotic and a nutritious diet, we can help lower our body’s oxidative stress.
This is where turmeric, a bright yellow spice you may have in your pantry, also comes in! Turmeric has been known for centuries for its medicinal properties. The reason why this spice is so healing is because of the bioactive compound, curcumin, that can be found inside it. Research shows that curcumin is responsible for many immune-modulating properties – from helping arthritis to fighting cancer, there are so many ways one can benefit from this spice.
One way I love to incorporate curcumin in my diet is through my Turmeric Cauliflower soup! Beyond this recipe being delicious, I can also get my daily probiotic fix by simply opening a capsule of Just Thrive Probiotic and stirring it in the soup. Unlike other probiotics that need refrigeration, Just Thrive® can withstand temperatures up to 455 degrees Fahrenheit - So cool! This recipe is such a staple in my kitchen, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Turmeric Cauliflower Soup
- 4.5 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery root, peeled and chopped
- 4.5 cups water
- 2 tb extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Just Thrive® Probiotic & Antioxidant, removed from capsule
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- Add cauliflower, parsnip, carrot, celery root, water, and spices to large pot. Heat on medium until water begins to boil, then cover and turn heat to medium low. Cook for 7-10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend on medium low until you have a creamy soup consistency. For a thinner soup, add a bit more water until desired consistency is reached. Note: You can also use a high-speed blender, but I would separate mixture so that it’s blended in 2 parts.
- Add olive oil, Just Thrive probiotic, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir in gently with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle seeds on top and serve warm! This soup keeps in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen and reheated.
For more gut-healthy recipes, you can find me on my blog The Visual Veggie, or on Instagram @thevisualveggie. Cheers to good health & immunity this winter season!