Guest recipe and blog by Nutritional Therapist @cathryn_fowler_
‘Tis the season for all the festive treats and fun holiday baking!
Tis not the season for gas, bloating, indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, or diarrhea. At least it shouldn’t be!
With between 80-90% of Americans suffering from some type of gut issue, it’s time for a little treat makeover. Because everyone deserves to enjoy their tasty bites and their gut health too.
The great thing is, it’s totally possible. With a few easy, better-for-you ingredient swaps, you can happily partake in all the food festivities and feel good at the same time. Win, win.
Want even more wins?
Add some Just Thrive Probiotic into your holiday treats. Since the Just Thrive Probiotic is incredibly resistant, you can sprinkle it into whatever you’re making and baking.
It can even be fried or baked up to 455 degrees and still retain 100% potency!
And with each sprinkle, you’re successfully enhancing the health of your digestive tract and combating any oxidative stress on your intestinal lining. Talk about an upgraded treat makeover!
Speaking of makeovers – I bring you these Probiotic Peppermint Bark Brownies.
With a few of those aforementioned better-for-you ingredient swaps and the addition of some Just Thrive Probiotic, this bark definitely received a refreshing upgrade.
Think of the festive Christmas peppermint bark, but in a healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and paleo form. These won’t be causing any distress to your stomach or health, only happiness to your taste buds.
They’ve got crunch, they’ve got peppermint, they’ve got chocolate, they’ve got holiday cheer, and they’ve got gut-health happiness.
Probiotic Peppermint Bark Brownies Recipe
No-Bake Brownie Base Ingredients:
- 1 cup sprouted almonds
- 1/3 cup drippy nut butter of choice (I used a blend of pecan and cashew)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 TB favorite sweetener (honey/maple syrup/yacon syrup) - adjust for sweetness level
- Throw all your ingredients into a food processor and mix until combined. Taste and adjust for sweetness preference.
- Place the dough into a lined dish and pop in the refrigerator while you make the white chocolate peppermint topping.
Crunchy White Chocolate Peppermint Bark Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 TB favorite sweetener (taste and adjust - I used 3 drops stevia)
- 3/4 cup sprouted rice cereal (I used One Degree Organics)
- 2 Capsules (the power within) of Just Thrive Probiotics
- optional: 1/4 cup freeze dried raspberries (crushed)
- In a medium bowl, mix together your coconut butter, coconut oil, peppermint extract, vanilla, and sweetener. Taste and adjust for sweetness preference.
- Open up the Just Thrive capsules and pour the powder into the bowl and mix.
- Add your sprouted rice cereal and mix until just coated.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the brownie base and pat until it’s even.**
- Sprinkle your freeze dried raspberries on top.
- Place the dish back in the refrigerator until set (2-3 hours).
- Once hardened, break apart, and enjoy!
**Eyeball how much topping you want in proportion to the brownie base and save the extra.